On this page you can find a list of tasks which we believe need to be done, it is not in any specific priority order as we will tackle each project depending on the resource and funding available at that time – and many of these items will be ongoing.
All volunteers are very welcome – those who have specialist knowledge and skills are also very welcome to join the group either on an ad hoc basis or for longer.
Works in progress
- To survey, record, restore and clean CWG’s – ongoing
- To survey, record, restore significant memorials – ongoing
- To define and mark unmarked graves of children – ongoing
- To clear scrubby area recently found to be an area where stillborn babies were buried, to create a memorial garden – ongoing
- To identify headstones which contribute to the Folkestone narrative – ongoing (see galleries and soon to be published book)
- To clear pathways – ongoing
- Working closely with FHDC to ensure grass cutting and maintenance is balanced with nurturing wildlife and wildflowers – ongoing
- To audit and preserve sanctuary for wildlife – informal survey completed
- To identify VC’s (3) – found (pics placed on Galleries page). Completed
- Meeting with FHDC arboricultural representative arranged to establish if any trees/bushes can be removed – work to remove diseased trees was scheduled and has started – ongoing.
- Line of sight of Cross of Sacrifice restored. Completed
- Stone Masons: Cleaning, preserving and repairing headstones and memorials – need to find a friendly stonemason
- Nature Conservancy: To create areas of sanctuary for wildlife and wild flowers – ongoing
- Historians: to create history walks using the narrative provided by the memorials and headstones – not possible in 2020 due to lockdown, potential for this in 2021
- To identify interested groups who may wish to become ‘friends’ – ongoing
- Working with FHDC to establish a ‘garden of remembrance’ for victims of the Gotha bombing, close to the main gate. Renewed planting by main gate now established. Completed