On this page you can find a list of tasks which we believe need to be done, it is not in any specific priority order as we will tackle each project depending on the resource and funding available at that time – and many of these items will be ongoing.
All volunteers are very welcome – those who have specialist knowledge and skills are also very welcome to join the group either on an ad hoc basis or for longer.
Works in progress
- To survey, record, restore and clean CWG’s – cleaned every two years, ongoing
- To survey, record, restore significant memorials – all burials recorded on FindAGrave, ongoing
- To define and mark unmarked graves of children – all children associated with parents grave on FindAGrave, ongoing
- To clear scrubby area recently found to be an area where stillborn babies were buried, to create a memorial garden – JustGiving fundraiser started, enlisted support from the East Kent Baby Memorial Garden charity, ongoin
- To identify headstones which contribute to the Folkestone narrative – ongoing (see galleries and soon to be published book)
- To clear pathways – ongoing
- Working closely with FHDC to ensure grass cutting and maintenance is balanced with nurturing wildlife and wildflowers – ongoing
- To audit and preserve sanctuary for wildlife – informal survey completed
- To identify VC’s (3) – found (pics placed on Galleries page). Completed
- Meeting with FHDC arboricultural representative arranged to establish if any trees/bushes can be removed – work to remove diseased trees was scheduled and has started – tree work ongoing.
- Line of sight of Cross of Sacrifice restored. Completed
- Nature Conservancy: To create areas of sanctuary for wildlife and wild flowers – ongoing
- Historians: to create history walks using the narrative provided by the memorials and headstones – not possible in 2020 due to lockdown, first walk and talk event took place August 2021 -‘ Duty, Destiny and Disaster’. New walk prepared entitled ‘Fleets to Fliers’.
- To identify interested groups who may wish to become ‘friends’ – ongoing